Player Profile: Ryan McHugh
In the first installment of our off-season player profile series we play 20 questions with Ryan McHugh (with a bonus question at the end for all of you club treasurers out there!). Let’s get right to it.
1. How many years have you played rugby? I will be going on my 20th year of playing.
2. What made you stick with the sport? The teamwork required to win and the family aspect of a rugby team.
3. What position do you wish coach would let you play? Everyone wants to play hooker right? I love my role know but I wouldn’t mind trying center.
4. What previous clubs have you played for? I played for Media for about 15 years.
5. How come people say you went to St. Joe’s but you’re always wearing Temple gear? I actually graduated from SJU, but I was fortunate to coach at Temple and most of my closest friends went there.
6. What drew you to Schuylkill River initially? Aside from persistence it had to be the team culture they had built and and opportunity to play with my friends. I also wanted to challenge myself by playing D1.
7. What’s your favorite thing about being part of Schuylkill River Rugby? Aside from the constant ball busting it is playing for a team that works this hard yet is never satisfied. It was also pretty cool to play for a legit 7s program
8. You have an interesting nickname, where did that come from? In college I was tall, white, skinny, and bled a lot.
9. What other sports do you like besides rugby? College basketball, baseball, and hockey
10. Do you prefer Carson Wentz or Randall Cunningham? The Ultimate Weapon was great to watch but Carson is a generational talent.
11. Do you prefer Joel Embiid or Ben Simmons? Simmons is going to be a multi time all star but he needs to improve his shooting. Got to go with Embid here.
12. What is your proudest rugby moment? Going undefeated in our first season at Media and making back to back trips to nationals. Starting for Schuylkill is pretty high up there too.
13. You grew up pretty close to the Frankford area of the city, what’s it like to give back to your community through Rookie Rugby? It is great. They are an amazing group of kids who truly appreciate our time and are starting to enjoy the game.
14. Tell me what Philadelphia rugby means to you and how you embody that ethos? Just like our city, rugby here is blue collar. We are all about out working our opponent and doing anything necessary to win.
15. Who do you think could talk longer about rugby without stopping, Pat Boyle or Greg “Loopy” Mininger? I think if you put both of them in a van they could make to the West Coast and back without stopping.
16. Who’s your rugby hero? On a personal level it is my college coach Ken Smith. I’m also a big fan of Francois Pienaar and Richie McCaw.
17. Who is your favorite member of the Wu-Tang Clan? ODB was batshit but I’m a fan of Rza , the Gza, and of course M E T H O D man.
18. Give me 3-5 official Ryan McHugh cheesesteak recommendations. Steve’ Prince of Steaks, Phil’s, and Johns roast pork. Steak ums a close 4th of course.
19. What’s on your pregame pump up playlist? Eminem, Gang Starr, Wu Tang Clan, Ac/Dc, Crystal Method and some movie scores like Gladiator and Braveheart.
20. What’s a fact that people might be surprised to learn about you? I hate clowns. Not in a scarred way but a freak me out way. I saw the original It (yes youngsters the new one is a remake) and clowns have creeped me out ever since.
21. As Club treasurer would you like to end this interview by telling everyone to pay their dues? They know to pay or they can expect a call from our Director of Rugby. Haha.